Monday, October 22, 2012

Symptoms of Mold and how it can Affect your Health


                    HOW MOLD CAN AFFECT YOUR HEALTH 
                Mold has been around for centuries. One of the earliest recorded instances of these    pesky spores was in the 1800’s, when a Japanese scientist attributed the consumption of contaminated rice to vomiting and convulsions.  It is now known that exposure to mold can be the start of diseases that can cause permanent damage over time if undiagnosed. Mold related illnesses are commonly misdiagnosed because there is such a wide array of symptoms the exposure can bring about. Because acting quickly is very important when   dealing with mold, don’t ever wait to consult with your physician if you feel ill and/or noticed   mold inside your home.

Scientists have discovered that a fungus inside of mold, call mycotoxin, is one of the factors that can cause a variety of respiratory, physical, and psychological symptoms. When exposed, it is common to experience the symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, skin irritations, trouble breathing, wheezing, and itchy nose, etc. Other symptoms noted in people who have been contaminated for longer are fever and exhaustion. As time progresses, the symptoms of mold exposure get worse .It is also important to note that every person reacts differently to mold, and what may affect one person greatly may not affect another, and vice versa.

People with Asthma and other allergies are also susceptible to being affected to a greater degree by mold. Since mold affects the respiratory system, any difficulty breathing or tightness in the chest will get much worse when exposed to mold spores. Other studies of mold exposure have also identified red eyes, headaches, coughing, nose drips, and watery or irritated eyes as possible symptoms.
One type of mold, called Stachybotrys, can be especially dangerous to you and your family. It is usually referred to by its street name, “black mold”. This mold has been showing up more and more in the United States because of foam used in the insulation of homes. This toxic mold can be particularly deadly to children who are still growing. This type of mold can cause symptoms like nose bleeds, coughing up blood, memory problems, and hemorrhaging. Chronic exposure to black mold can and will lead to death, so handle this situation with extreme care.

Unfortunately, since mold needs warm temperature to grow, South Florida’s hot and humid climate is a good breeding ground for it. We are inadvertedly exposed to species of outdoor mold every day in Broward and Dade County. This mold is not usually harmful unless you have mold allergies, which would cause you to experience flu like symptoms. Although some molds are more toxic than others to the human body, any species of indoor mold is considered extremely hazardous, and should be taken care of by a mold remediation professional. The mold that grows indoors can lead to farm more serious consequences, ranging from irritation to death, in extreme cases. All in all, whatever your mold situation is.