Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How do i know if I have mold?

How do I know if I have mold?

Many people in South Florida are not aware that exposure to mold can have serious adverse effects on your well-being. Mold exposure is usually misdiagnosed as a number of other conditions because the symptoms are so varied. But exposure to mold spores can have very detrimental effects in the long run, such as cancer, lung problems, brain damage, and ultimately death.

            It can be tricky to discern whether your house has become a victim to mold many people live day in and day out with toxic mold spores and don’t even realize they are there. The first step to identifying mold is to look for black or green spots around your house. Mold can grow in any environment where there is moisture, so look for condensation around any glass windows or doors in your home. The condensation will look like little water droplets around the glass. Also, if you have mold, your house will start to get a distinct musty smell, like clothes that have been left wet for a long period of time. Even if the smell is not overwhelming, a damp smell is a tell tale sign of mold.  Any place in your home that is damp whether it is because of a leak or inadequate ventilation can be susceptible to mold and should be inspected thoroughly.

It’s important to note that mold can grow virtually anywhere, including furniture and carpets. Mold that is found on other places besides the walls or ceiling is called mildew. Look for mildew in damp places around your house. A good starting point is your bathroom, and makes sure to give special attention to your shower and bathtub. Mildew has an almost powdery appearance, and it will either be gray or white. 

            After a flood, there is always more potential for mold to propagate because of all the moisture that comes into a home. You cannot rely on things to air dry because this can be a perfect breeding ground for toxic mold. It is important to fix any leaks in your roof or pipes immediately to prevent mold spores. If you have experienced flooding in your house, contact a mold remediation specialist to seek help. 

            A homeowner should waste no time hiring a professional when the problem arises, because mold will continue to grow until it becomes very difficult to repair. Mold remediation is definitely the way to go once you have identified mold in your house, because experts can help you identify the source and eliminate this serious problem with safe and appropriate remedies.